Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
The Cash Application Specialist performs work under minimum supervision all job duties at a high level of expertise in the Health Department’s finance office. The position has the primary responsibility to timely and accurately process, balance, analyze, and adjust grant, patient related payments and rejections either through electronic remittance advices or manually using Explanation of Benefit forms into NextGen. Accurately prepare, enter and balance deposits into both NextGen and Oracle. Ensures accurate records are kept for all payment activity to ensure the agency complies with all appropriate audit requirements as required. Assists with other billing or accounting projects as needed.
Location: 3010 Grand Ave, Waukegan, IL 60085
Hours: 37.5 hours a week, Monday-Friday (9:00am-5:00pm)
FLSA STATUS: Hourly
Skills and Experience
- Processes and analyze all payments using Clearinghouses, NextGen, and Oracle systems and act upon the findings in a timely manner.
- Analyze the explanation of benefit advices from the various payers to determine the appropriate rejection code in order to ensure the accuracy of the data and entering the rejections.
- Process all credit card and manual patient payments.
- Process and balance payment deposits between NextGen and Oracle.
- Analyze and resolve all unapplied payments using NextGen reports.
- Review, adjust and collect NSF patient payments.
- Analyze and resolve all credit balance patient accounts.
- Create patient management reports using the NextGen system.
- Adhere to month end accounting deadlines for payment processing.
- Use Microsoft Excel to create spreadsheets to assist in the analysis of patient data.
- Organize and maintain payment documentation for the auditors.
- Differentiate between clearing house rejections and payer rejections by frequently working within the clearing house environment.
- Resolve all patient payment inquiries from internal and external customers.
- Gives appropriate information referrals and documents as necessary.
- Keeps thorough records of all activity including reporting and tracking of patient adjustments or corrections.
- Participates in staff meetings, in service trainings, and seminars to facilitate professional growth and maintain licensure if required.
- Involvement in quality improvement activities on an ongoing basis.
- Runs and monitors reports.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- Completion of a high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
- Experience utilizing ten-key data entry and spreadsheets is required.
- Three years minimum experience in a medical billing or finance office setting specifically working with cash application systems and processes is required.
- Job Assessment(s) may be required for this role.
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability, veteran status and other protected characteristics.