Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
Evaluates and assesses clients. Prepares and implements treatment plans with clients. Provides therapeutic and supportive services to clients- including individual, group, and family counseling and case management. Prepares and presents educational seminars to clients, their families, the general public and other service providers on chemical dependency and/or mental health. In residential programs, responsible for unit coverage and emergency telephone interventions. Counseling duties are generally office-based, case management activities are generally community based.
Location: 3002 Grand Ave, Waukegan, IL
Hours: 37.5 hours a week; Monday-Friday (9:00am-5:00pm)
FLSA STATUS: Hourly
Skills and Experience
- Provides direct services to clients including organizing and facilitating individual and group treatment and activities, supervision of the milieu and case management and outreach.
- Develops clients’ abilities to problem-solve interpersonal conflicts.
- Works collaboratively with clients and the treatment team to develop, review, and update treatment goals and referrals both internally and externally.
- Takes responsibility for training and documenting in clinical chart to meet program requirements and state standards.
- Provides atmosphere of customer service in assuring that clients are treated in a friendly and respectful manner. Displays positive attitudes and behaviors in the accomplishment of job duties.
- Focuses on client empowerment and evidence-based practices in providing treatment- seeking to assist clients to build on strengths in addressing treatment needs.
- Provides education and direction to clients, family members, and/or significant others.
- Organizes and participates in treatment-related clinical conferences and staffings on assigned clients. Reports client progress, behavior problems or need for medication evaluation to program supervisors/physicians/psychiatrists regularly.
- Must meet minimum productivity expectations.
- May assist in the orientation and training of new staff.
- Job Skill Assessment(s) may be required for this role.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or
- Bachelor’s in any field and two (2) years’ experience, or
- High School diploma or GED and five (5) years’ experience.
- Be Certified as an Alcohol/ Drug Abuse Counselor by the Illinois Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Board (I.A.O.D.A.P.C.A.).
To remain in this position, a chemical dependency counselor must, within 24 months, have one of the following:
- Be licensed by the State of Illinois as an Physician, Psychologist, Licensed Social Worker (L.S.W.), Licensed Clinical Social Worker (L.C.S.W.), Licensed Professional Counselor (L.P.C.) Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (L.C.P.C.).
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability, veteran status and other protected characteristics.