Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Coordinator, Nutrition Services provides medical nutrition therapy, nutrition counseling, community outreach and education, appropriate referral, and follow up for patients and families based on identified high-risk condition and individual needs. Work involves direct patient contact in a clinic setting and is performed in accordance with state and local agency policies and procedures.
Location: 1911 27th St, Zion. IL & 3010 Grand Ave, Waukegan, IL
- May require remote counseling/consulting for patients/medical team via video conferencing and telephone. Currently this position is two days in the office and three days remote due to Covid-19.
Hours: 37.5 hours a week (Monday-Friday)
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday (8:30am-4:30pm)
- Thursday (11:00am-7:00pm)
FLSA STATUS: Hourly
Skills and Experience
- Assesses and evaluates nutritional needs of patients as referred by providers.
- Provides medical nutrition therapy including development of an individual care plan and nutrition counseling using motivational interviewing for patients and families based on assessed nutritional risk factors and individual need.
- Identifies patients at nutritional risk and communicates information with staff and providers.
- Demonstrates knowledge of sound nutritional practices for normal nutrition, as well as appropriate medical nutrition therapy for individuals with a diagnosed medical condition.
- Refers patients and families as appropriate to other health and social services agencies.
- Documents clinical information including nutrition care plans (progress in improving health and documentation of outcomes) in patients’ electronic health record according to agency and state standards.
- Provides consultation services to Clinical Operations staff as needed to assist with ongoing plans of care for nutrition management of medical conditions.
- Develops and presents nutrition education/in-service training, outreach activities and supports groups for patients, clinic staff and the community.
- Participates in gathering and tracking programmatic/outcome data and completes required forms, reports and databases in a timely manner.
- Participates in the integration of Nutrition Services with other Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center (LCHD/CHC) programs including Prenatal, Pediatrics, Adult Medical Services, Dental, STI/HIV and Behavioral Health.
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement activities to assess and monitor patient care processes and develop plans for improvement as needed.
- Participates in the orientation and training of new staff and dietetic interns.
- Assists in developing and reviewing nutrition education materials for health promotion.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition related field.
- One-year experience in clinical/community nutrition desired.
- Requires current Illinois licensure as a Licensed Dietitian.
- Requires Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES) credential within (2) two years of hire.
- Ability to work on evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime if necessary.
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability, veteran status and other protected characteristics.