Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
The Director, Behavioral Health, reporting directly to the Executive Director, is responsible for ensuring quality behavioral health programming and services are delivered at the Health Department (LCHD/CHC). Responsible for the design, overall operation and direction of behavioral health programming and services. The position is responsible for planning, directing, coordinating and administering services at behavioral health-specific locations and the integrated sites. The Director serves as a champion for appropriate, evidence based, and cost-effective behavioral health interventions that meet individual and community needs.
Location: 3010 Grand Avenue, Waukegan Il
Skills and Experience
- Plans, directs, oversees and coordinates all behavioral health programming and services.
- Works collaboratively with the Medical Director and Behavioral Health Medical Director to ensure consistent, quality care across the organization.
- Analyzes and evaluates effectiveness of programs. Develops and implements plans for improved systems of service delivery. Submits recommendations to the Executive Director, as indicated.
- Accurately identifies existing and emerging behavioral issues for prioritization and development of goals, objectives, and work plans for new activities and programs.
- Implements changes in various clinical programming as needed to keep the services current with trends in the treatment of behavioral illness and chemical dependency.
- Provides direction on the scope, types, and evaluation of clinical and administrative programming that is offered utilizing published best practices and empirically proven clinical methodologies in delivery of client care.
- Ensures effective communication among all staff regarding administrative and clinical issues.
- Participates in program development and potential expansion efforts, including seeking new funding sources, writing grant proposals and applications.
- Develops and prepares the annual budget for behavioral health programming and services and controls, tracks, and monitors revenue and expenditures with direction and guidance from the Director of Finance.
- Recruits, orients, supervises and evaluates directly or through delegation, behavioral health personnel.
- Creates individualized annual development goals for each direct report and facilitate staff development in their scope of management.
- Monitors performance management data for areas of responsibility and assures the implementation of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) principles and projects for all behavioral health programming and services.
- Enforces and prepares policies and procedures for Executive Director and Board of Health or Governing Council consideration
- Collaborates with the Associate Director, in charge of FQHC operations, on identified physical health issues that impact behavioral health programs.
- Work with the Executive Team to accomplish the strategic goals of the Department.
- Provides leadership to the community and stakeholders on the strategic direction necessary to address behavioral health needs.
- Identifies and engages community partners/stakeholders to work together to address behavioral health issues and increase capacity in the treatment system.
- Leads and participates with community initiatives to advance the delivery of behavioral health programming and services to address unmet needs.
- Collaborates with community agencies in joint development of programs to extend and strengthen behavioral health and chemical dependency services within Lake County. Champions cross-agency collaboration to improve client and patient outcomes and satisfaction.
- Promotes recovery-oriented practices and encourages the inclusion and empowerment of people with mental health and substance use disorders.
- Participates in statewide organizations and committees with concurrence of the Executive Director to enhance and potentially expand services.
- Remains current on legislative issues and indicates which issues the Health Department should support and not support and interacts with legislators to discuss these issues.
- Serves in a resource capacity to other Lake County agencies, both public and private, regarding services available and interprets the program and its services to the public, staff members, other professionals, and persons in treatment and their families.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- A Master’s Degree or Doctorate in Psychology or Social Work or Nursing or Medicine, and at least six years of senior-level/director-level management experience, preferably gained in a comparable department.
- Licensed as a LCSW or LCPC or Clinical Psychologist or Psychiatric APN or Psychiatrist.
- Experience with the management of multisite behavioral health operations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with diverse populations at all levels. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and organizational abilities.
- Considerable knowledge of Federal and State rules, regulations, standards, and statutes governing behavioral health.
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.