Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
Under minimal supervision performs job functions in a professional manner with a high level of expertise. A Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) plays an important role in ensuring patient record accuracy, organization, quality, security and accessibility. These essential documents can be both on paper and in an electronic database and contain patient’s diagnosis, treatment, health certificate and insurance. The RHIT will compile, process, and maintain medical records while following regulatory requirements of the healthcare system.
Location: 3010 Grand Ave, Waukegan, IL
Hours: Monday – Friday (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Skills and Experience
- Releases patient information in a manner compliant with all federal and state statutes and facility policies.
- Appropriately responds to requests for patient information in a timely manner ensuring that a valid Authorization for Release of Information, subpoena, or court order is obtained in accordance with all federal and state statutes and facility policies.
- Conducts audits to enforce compliance of requests, accuracy of information and timeliness of Release of Information turnaround.
- Acts as a liaison between the Release of Information Services, Health Information Management, Providers and Central Billing Office regarding Release of Information functions.
- Acts as a resource for HIM Clerks.
- Coordinates and is responsible for the transfer of medical records between outlying sites.
- Identifies and corrects duplicate data in the Master Patient Index.
- Coordinates and is responsible for CD’s that are received at the Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center (LCHD/CHC) including performing virus scans, importing, printing, and/or sending CD to the provider for review.
- Coordinates activities relating to the Health Information Exchange.
- Monitors batches within the Image Control System (ICS) and periodically performs Quality checks to ensure all documents have been filed into the EHR.
- Audits medical records for documentation errors and deficiencies and reviews documentation procedures.
- Generates health information reports concerning chart analysis.
- Queries clinical staff regarding documentation errors and deficiencies.
- Selects medical records for review procedures.
- Performs HIPAA Privacy audits on both physical and electronic areas where PHI resides.
- Participates in Quality Improvement activities on an ongoing basis.
- Attends appropriate in-service education, mandatory in-services and drills, staff meetings, and seminars for professional development.
- Develops and maintains a basic knowledge of services available at the Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center (LCHD/CHC).
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of individual Emergency Preparedness roles.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- Requires an Associate Degree in Health Information Management.
- Requires AHIMA certification or eligibility (RHIA or RHIT).
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program.
Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.