Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
With minimal supervision, responsible for maintenance of the Animal Care and Control shelter animal housing sections, the medical treatment of sick and/or injured animals, the review of lost and found records, the maintenance of an inventory of kennel supplies, accepting and release of impounded animals from the facility, mobile communication between wardens and law enforcement, direct communication with clients and other applications in support of state and local regulations governing proper animal care and control practices for Lake County.
Location: 18736 West Peterson Road, Libertyville IL
Hours: Week 1- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (8:30am – 4:30pm)
Week 2 – Tuesday and Thursday (8:30am – 4:30pm) Saturday (8:30am – 1:00pm) Sunday (8:30am – 11:30am)
*This is a Part-Time position with rotating Wednesdays, Weekends, and Holidays.*
Skills and Experience
- Assures that all animal housing areas are maintained in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Prepares and maintains activity reports and animal records of impounded animals, investigations and correspondence.
- Assists the public, community service officers, police departments, Lake County Sheriff, Lake County Forest Preserve Rangers and co-workers with impoundment and release of animals, and maintains accurate records of these transactions.
- Processes telephone inquiries and complaints from the public, other agencies and Health Department staff regarding strays, and relinquished, biting, and wild animals.
- Participates in making recommendations that formulate program policies and procedures.
- May assist in the transfer of impounded animals to other animal control/adoption facilities.
- As required, acts as radio dispatcher, dispatching wardens to appropriate locations based upon complaints or requests from municipalities, the Sheriff’s Department, or private citizens.
- Assists, as required, with animal bite investigations, rabies registration and spay/neuter program.
- Under immediate supervision, learns the use of the tools needed for adequate animal control.
- Responsible for keeping equipment and kennel in good working condition.
- With supervision, coordinates the duties of public service workers.
- Assists the Department’s veterinarian in treating sick and/or injured animals, and in the vaccination and micro-chipping of impounded animals.
- Reports any repairs needed in animal housing areas.
- Assists at vaccination or micro-chip clinics.
- Maintains a record of the inventory of the shelter supplies.
- Maintains accurate lost and found reports of animals from the public, and for animals impounded at the shelter facility.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- Requires a high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
- One-year experience working with animals is preferred but not required.
- Requires a valid driver’s license with appropriate classification and a satisfactory driving record.
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
To learn more about the department you will be working for, please visit the Animal Care & Control Program information page. If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.