Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
We are looking for a detail-oriented Medical Coding Specialist to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in medical billing and coding, with the skills necessary to improve our current billing procedures. In order to be successful, you must be committed to accurate coding for outpatient services, diagnostic tests and other medical services rendered to each patient we see at our various community health centers. Certification in medical coding strongly preferred.
Location: 3010 Grand Avenue, Waukegan, IL
Hours: Monday through Friday: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Skills and Experience:
- Review appropriate ICD, CPT, HCPCS and DSM-5 codes for all visits.
- Use CPT, ICD-10-CM, HCPCS and DSM-5, physician documentation and other approved resources to assign accurate procedure, diagnosis codes and modifiers to professional services.
- Ensure the LCHD facilities are paid for all reimbursable procedures completed.
- Code with 95 percent accuracy as determined by quarterly audits.
- Audit medical records for documentation accuracy and procedure review.
- Use Intelicode and Microsoft Excel to track the accuracy of providers and summarize review results.
- Assist in the development of coding protocols to ensure coding accuracy; review information about patient treatment, diagnosis and related procedures to ensure proper coding.
- Serve as a resource providing education to physicians and administrative staff on professional coding issues.
- Attend appropriate in-service education, staff meetings and seminars appropriate for professional development.
- Use computer software applications to read and organize charts.
- Ongoing involvement in quality improvement activities.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:Completion of a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Completion of a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Certification of CCA, CCS, CCS-P, COC, CPC and/or an RHIT, active membership affiliation with AAPC and/or AHIMA, and a minimum of one-year recent medical coding/billing experience in a behavioral health and medical outpatient clinical setting.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of medical and behavioral health billing.
- Extensive knowledge of CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10 CM, DSM-5 and Medical Terminology.
- Extensive knowledge of the rules, regulations, and requirements of medical billing to Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance.
- Knowledge of federal regulations pertaining to billing for medical services provided by a Federal Qualified Health Center.
- Understanding of community/private mental health center billing guidelines.
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please view this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.