Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
Our fast-growing healthcare organization is seeking an experienced Patient Accounts Billing Specialist to work in our finance office. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in medical billing, with the skills necessary to improve our current billing procedures. We’re looking for a team player with a keen interest in building successful relationships with patients. Since our business environment is always changing, a willingness to learn and the ability to adapt are essential. An Associate’s degree in Health Information Technology or Accounting is preferred. Bilingual (Spanish) Preferred.
Location: 3010 Grand Avenue, Waukegan, IL 60085
Hours: Monday through Friday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Skills and Experience
- Responsible for reviewing patient accounts with a spenddown to ensure proper billing of services.
- Responsible for processing patient refunds.
- Responsible for processing patient bad debt.
- Responsible for collection of private pay balances.
- Assist patients with obtaining access to a LCHD navigator, setup of payment plans or Financial Hardship using established protocols.
- Audit, analyze and correct patient sliding fee applications.
- Re-bill and adjust patient accounts as necessary using the NextGen system (Medical Health Records).
- Assist in deposit resolution between Treasurer, clinics and Finance.
- Interpret and explain eligibility results.
- Create patient management reports using the NextGen system.
- Analyze and resolve accounts receivable aging issues.
- Use Microsoft Excel to create spreadsheets to assist in the analysis of patient data.
- Trace the transactions through NextGen from charge entry through claim creation as part of problem resolution.
- Resolve all patient inquiries from internal and external customers.
- Keeps thorough records of all activity including reporting and tracking of billing adjustments or corrections.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. or Associates Degree in accounting or related field, or certification in Health Information Technology is preferred.
- Four years’ experience in medical billing and using an Electronic Practice Management system.
- Two years’ of collections experience in a provider setting.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and utilizing ten-key data entry is required.
- Bilingual is preferred.
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.