Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
Under the supervision of the Patient Access Center Manager and Associate Director Clinical Practice (clinical oversight), determines the degree of urgency of the patient’s problem, selects the most appropriate disposition (time, location and provider to handle the problem), and provides advice on what steps should be taken to address the issue presented. Participate as a member of the Patient Access Center team, signs into ACD and schedules patient appointments when there are no triage functions to handle.
Location: 2303 Dodge Ave, Waukegan, IL
Hours: 37.5 hours a week (Monday thru Friday, from 9:00am-5:30pm)
FLSA STATUS: Hourly
Skills and Experience
- Talks directly to patient on the telephone and then directs them to the appropriate care setting (physician office, urgent care, emergency room). Uses active listening in identifying the presenting complaint.
- Performs short evaluation of the patient situation to estimate severity of illness and/or injury including learning about chief complaint, chronic problems, medications, allergies and as possible obtaining vital sign and mental status information
- Determines urgency of seeing patient based on brief (telephone) assessment utilizing electronic health record system as appropriate.
- Sends those (triaged) with high-risk chief complaints such as chest pain, abdominal pain, or severe headaches to ER immediately or arranges for an ambulance.
- Utilizes the electronic health record system to schedule appointments for patients who do not need to go to ER but need to see a physician
- Responds to questions from patients, healthcare professionals and other LCHD resources (e.g. public health nurses) utilizing clinical expertise, guidelines and established protocols
- Utilizes the electronic health record system to send tasks to clinic PCMH teams, as appropriate, to meet patient needs
- Follow-up on messages left in message box within 1 business day
- Follow-up on tasks sent during business hours within 30 minutes
- Participate as a member of the Patient Access Center team, signs into ACD and schedules patient appointments when there are no triage functions to handle
- Perform tasks including filing, chart documentation and chart requesting.
- Develops and maintains a basic knowledge of services available at the Lake County Health Department and Community Health Centers (LCHD/CHC).
- Develops and maintains a basic awareness of the Chronic Care Model Processes to reduce health disparities within our communities.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of individual Emergency Preparedness roles.
- Demonstrates adherence to National Patient Safety Goals.
- Participates in quality improvement activities to assess, monitor, and improve program services.
- Supports clerks with clinical questions
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- Current Illinois RN license
- Access pertinent patient information utilizing electronic health record
- Make decisions quickly based on medical knowledge and established protocols
- Schedule appointments and document in NextGen
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability, veteran status and other protected characteristics.