Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
The Systems Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, securing, and optimizing all enterprise level software and associated operating systems. The Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues with these information systems and make recommendations that maximizes the benefit of current and future IT system investments.
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance Plans
- Life Insurance
- Vacation Pay
- Sick Pay
- And MUCH MORE!
Location: 3010 Grand Ave, Waukegan, IL
Hours: 40 hours a week; Monday-Friday (8:30am-5:00pm)
FLSA STATUS: Hourly
Skills and Experience
- Provides technical expertise to enable the correct application of operational procedures. Uses infrastructure management tools to determine load and performance statistics. Contributes to the planning and implementation of maintenance and installation work, including building and configuration of infrastructure components in virtualized environments. Implements agreed infrastructure changes and maintenance routines. Configures tools to automate the provisioning, testing and deployment of new and changed infrastructure. Identifies operational problems and contributes to their resolution, checking that they are managed in accordance with agreed standards and procedures. Provides reports and proposals for improvement, to specialists, users and managers. (ITOP-4)
- Reviews software updates and identifies those that merit action. Tailors software to maximize hardware functionality. Installs and tests new versions of software. Investigates and coordinates the resolution of potential and actual service problems related to software. Prepares and maintains operational documentation for software. Advises on the correct and effective use of software. (SYSP-4)
- Configures software and equipment and tests platform-specific versions of one or more software products. Reports the outcome of testing and identifies potential improvements to the process and to the software products according to agreed designs and standards. (PORT-4)
- Contributes to the development of solution architectures. Identifies and evaluates alternative architectures and the trade-offs in cost, performance, and scalability. Produces specifications of cloud-based and on-premises components, tiers and interfaces, for translation into detailed designs using selected services and products. Supports a change program or project through the preparation of technical plans and application of design principles that comply with enterprise and solution architecture standards (including security). (ARCH-4)
- Communicates information security risks and issues to Health Informatics and Technology management, as it relates to enterprise software and infrastructure. Performs basic risk assessments in coordination with larger Health Informatics and Technology risk assessments. Contributes to vulnerability assessments. Applies and maintains specific security controls as required by organizational policy and risk assessments. Investigates suspected attacks. Responds to security breaches in line with security policy and records the incidents and action taken. (SCTY–3)
- Designs, codes, verifies, tests, documents, amends ,and refactors simple programs/scripts. Applies agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result. Reviews own work. (PROG-2)
- Develops, documents and implements changes based on requests for change. Applies organizational change control procedures and best practices to all work. (CHMG-3)
- Supports monitoring of the external environment and assessment of emerging technologies to evaluate the potential impacts, threats, and opportunities to the organization. Contributes to the creation of reports, technology roadmaps and the sharing of knowledge and insights. (EMRG-4)
- Job Skill Assessment(s) may be required for this role.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- Seven years of experience in IT system engineering, administration, or related discipline OR
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, computer engineering, or related discipline with three years of relevant IT system engineer or administration experience.
- Experience with virtualized and cloud infrastructure systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure preferred, but not required.
- Sound knowledge of networking, databases, and backup solutions.
- Experience in automation and scripting, such as PowerShell scripts.
- An analytical mind with a problem-solving attitude.
- Possesses skills necessary to accurately and effectively communicate highly technical concepts to non-technical staff. Expert level of interpersonal communication is a must!
About the Perks:
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package with performance-based incentive plans. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability, veteran status and other protected characteristics.