Do you want a career where you can truly make a difference? The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is one of the largest human service providers in Lake County. We live our mission each day, promoting the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Lake County. If you are passionate about giving back and ready to be a part of an innovative team, we are looking for you!
About the Role:
An energetic and people-centered manager, the COVID-19 Community Health Worker (CHW) Lead provides direct supervision and oversight for COVID-19 Community Health Workers (CHWs) in their activities. The Community Health Worker program is an arm of the Pandemic Health Navigator Program (PHNP), a grant-funded, short-term program focused on reducing the disparities of outcomes of COVID-19 seen in our community through education/outreach, resource coordination, and contact tracing support. CHW activities include assessing and addressing needs related to primary healthcare and social determinants of health, providing basic health education about COVID-19 and chronic conditions, and supporting individuals in accessing vaccination opportunities. CHW Leads also develop and implement schedules for COVID-19 CHWs, including identifying community-based locations for field work. Where required, CHW Leads may also act as a COVID-19 CHWs and provide direct service to community members. Work assignments are in-depth and may be of a broad scope requiring a substantial degree of responsibility and independence of action.
This is a remote position that may require some field-based work and is grant-funded through December 31, 2021.
Location: 3010 Grand Ave, Waukegan IL
Hours: 40 hours a week; Tuesday-Saturday or Sunday-Thursday and some evenings
FLSA STATUS: Hourly
Skills and Experience
- Maintain weekly schedule of COVID-19 CHWs, including locations for field-based work.
- Prioritize and distribute referral cases as they are received from the CHW Program Supervisor.
- Assure CHWs respond to 90% of referrals within 24 hours and 100% of referrals within 48 hours.
- Assure CHWs document 100% of efforts in Salesforce or AllVax the same day these activities occur.
- Maintain and disseminate updated information and resources to CHW offered by various community organizations and public agencies.
- Support CHWs in navigating complex cases, and refer cases requiring additional support to a Case Manager Lead.
- Participate in briefings with other organizational and external stakeholders.
- Participate in and ensure that all CHWs complete required trainings.
- Provide monthly data updates to the CHW Program Supervisor on assigned metrics.
- Function as a CHW where required.
- Assess and request staffing needs to CHW Program Supervisor.
- Job Skill Assessment(s) may be required for this role.
Education, Qualifications, and Certification:
- High School Diploma is required. Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, business, or other related field is preferred.
- Will provide on the job training
- Preferred experience in public health, community health, or case management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with educational and culturally diverse populations in a courteous and professional manner.
- Passion for supporting community members in protecting and promoting their health.
- Must have experience working in community work. This can include advocacy, volunteering, etc.
- Comfort with using technology to communicate and coordinate work.
- Ability to plan and organize work effectively and efficiently.
- Management experience is a plus.
- Case management experience is a plus.
- Spanish or other language fluency is a plus.
About the Perks:
Visit the Health Department page to get additional information on why you should work for us.
If you would like to learn more about our community impact and to see some of our employees in action, please review this short video.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
The Lake County Health Department and Community Health Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability, veteran status and other protected characteristics.